Sunday, April 1, 2007

KEEP YOUR HARDDRIVES COOL!

Arg! There are dozens of bad blocks in my root partition and it does not boot properly anymore. It is a Maxtor 80GB HDD about 3 years old. This is the first time I had such a serious problem in my 12 years of experience with computers. I have help many people troubleshoot their computers with bad sectors in the past but this is the first time it happens to me! I have always kept my harddrives cool with a cooling fan.

Well, this Maxtor drive is not really mine, it was my girlfriend's. Last year, I bought a 160GB drive as I needed a new drive for Linux as my old 4.3GB is aging and getting slower but still no bad sectors! And, since I don't really need so much space while my girlfriend always complain that she does not have enough diskspace, so we swapped. She has a laptop and the 3.5" 80GB HDD is in an external USB/IDE enclosure that was not too well ventilated compared to my other older 40GB drive that is still running well.

Therefore, the lesson learnt is: KEEP YOUR HARDDRIVES COOL!

Anyway, this site has pretty good description on handling bad blocks for ReiserFS: http://www.namesys.com/bad-block-handling.html

No comments: